Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Where I Stand #3

Last night there was a candidate forum at the library, put on by the Washington County Minority Coalition.  It was my first forum as I was unable to attend a prior meet the candidate night.  I really enjoyed myself and was also able to see a few issues the current and next city council will face.  St. George is not a very diverse place but I believe that overwhelming majority of people in the area are welcoming and accepting of diversity.

Like I said, I learned a lot and was able to meet all of the candidates.  Did you know that there is no bus service in St. George on Sunday?  I didn't, I think that it's crazy that a city the size of St. George does not have a full week of public transportation.  Many people and student rely on public transportation to get to jobs, school, and to do their errands on a daily basis.  Apparrently those who utilize and need public transport are either stuck at home on Sunday or relegated to walking in the 100*+ heat.  A few of the candidates and current council members said that there wasn't enough money in the budget to allow for a Sunday bus schedule.  Tell me exactly where we found the money for a $300,000 carousel but can't get a few buses to run at least a half schedule on Sunday?  I don't get it.  This is the kind of thinking that I feel needs to be examained in a city.  I feel that we ignore the little guy in St. George and cater to those who's economic status is above a certain level.

I still believe in St. George and think it's a great place to live.  But we can do better.  It's my hope that I can help out in that aspect and help the council see that everybody deserves a voice and benefits from the city they call home.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the logic behind your complaint- My wife and I are very familiar with being crippled by a lack of transportation, as we, until this last year, were a one car family. This doesn't sit well with those who are forced to work in low-paying jobs across town, with no way to make the journey on those mandatory Sunday shifts!

    ReplyDelete